Saturday, August 15, 2009

Yesterday's food


George Calombaris taught me how to make risotto. All thanks to the Master class that aired months ago. And now I find it difficult to make, let alone want another one. It's all in the agitation, not the stirring.

This is how I make my vegetarian version of Risotto with Pumpkin

Pumpkin Puree ingredients: • 300g Pumpkin •100g butter (or a whole lot less!)
Grate pumpkin, cook in covered small pot for 15min stirring occasionally, blend till smooth.

Risotto Ingredients:
• 1 Cup Arborio Rice • knob butter• Rosemary sprig • Hot Vege Stock ~ 2 cups worth (you can use chicken stock) • 1/2 cup white wine • 1/4 onion diced • 1/2 clove garlic crushed • 100g grated Parmesan (or a small handful)

To cook the Risotto
1. Melt the knob of butter in a large fry pan
2. Add onion and garlic and cook just to translucent
3. Add a cup of rice - and coat the rice in the butter
4. Add rosemary whole (for flavour)
5. Deglaze pan with wine and agitate
6. Gently add hot enough stock to cover the rice
7. Every few minutes agitate and let it gently bubble
8. Test every few minutes till al-dente
9. When nearly ready take out rosemary sprig, add little bit more butter (if you're that way inclined) and grated parmesan
10. Fold in puree and gently heat through

I serve with natural/greek yoghurt & lots of cracked pepper and sometimes some chopped rosemary.

George served his with a splash of olive oil, baby basil leaves & goats cheese. But eh, I can't tolerate the stuff.

The cheesecake brownie was somewhat of an experiment. I didn't quite have all the ingredients I needed but it still tastes pretty good. It's the texture that needs some work. Less egg me thinks. At the very least Dad & I have afternoon tea for the footy.

No comments: