Thursday, October 29, 2009

This week in the garden

I'm spraying my plants with a homemade aphid spray mix.

I wanted to make a natural recipe and used this:
Add 1/2 tblsp pure soap flakes or grated sunlight soap to 1/2 cup boiling water and dissolve.
Stir in 1/2 tblsp of white oil. Dilute in 1L water and spray as required.

You'll need two spray bottles for this quantity.

White oil
1 tbs vegetable oil mixed with 1/4 teaspoon washing detergent. Only use half.

So far so good. It does require frequent spraying in the late evening so as not to burn the plants foliage.

1 comment:

kellie said...

Great tip. Thanks for sharing this. I always think about this but never know the make up of it. I notice some of our roses are ripe with aphids. (but on a side note, my son's preschool's rose, covered in labdybirds - which eat the aphids. I have never seen so many ladybirds in one spot!)