Thursday, February 18, 2010

Green tea 'ice cream'


You know what they say '...when in Rome'. So while I was in Japan I did my best to savour many green tea flavoured food stuffs. On our last night in Tokyo I finally got my hands on a bowl of ice cream. Sure it was a little too cold for ice cream, but the taste was sensational. Green tea is slightly bitter and I like that with sweet.

I was looking for an easy mid-week ice cream recipe and came across this:
300mL cream
1 tbs matcha (green tea) powder
100mL sweetened condensed milk (I used the low fat stuff)
1 tsp vanilla essence

Whip cream and matcha together until you have soft peaks, then fold in essence and sweetened condensed milk.

Add to ice cream machine as per manufacturers instructions. I think I churned for about 8 hours.

The flavour is really good, but I'd love to try making ice cream proper...

2 comments:

Jac said...

Mmmm, this looks delicious and I love the photos, all that lovely greeness. I'd love an ice cream maker but it would either be one of those items that I hardly ever used or used too much - I'm not sure which is worse!!

Catherine said...

Yum I love green tea ice cream!