Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Smoked fish salad

This is a keeper, from a relatively recent Donna Hay magazine. I like to start it the night before, by boiling the potatoes. It's almost impossible to find smoked trout in our poorly stocked local supermarket, so I almost always use a fillet of smoked salmon instead. The brackets indicate my deviations from the recipe. This one's for you R.

Salad ingredients:
800g baby potatoes (regular work fine too) • Olive oil • 2 bunches baby beetroot (or 2 medium beetroot) • 400g smoked trout (or salmon) fillet, flaked • 1 bunch watercress, leaves picked (or rocket & spinach mix) • 400g broad beans, blanched and peeled (I usually forget these)

Dressing ingredients, combine:
• 1/2 cup whole egg mayo (low fat) • 1 tbs grated horseradish (Yumi's is good) • 1 garlic clove crushed • 1 tbs white wine vinegar • salt and pepper • (and sometimes a dash of water to thin out the dressing)

Heat the oven to 220C/425F.
Boil the potatoes until tender, then smash/squish on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and bake until golden. Bake the 2 beetroot at the same time, wrapped in foil. ~30 mins. If you have baby beets, it's suggested that you just coat them in oil and bake.
Once tender, peel the beetroot (gloves are handy here) and chop.
Assemble salad and spoon over dressing.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Yum sounds like a good combination

emsveen said...

I made something really similar last week...delicious!

Jaclyn said...

Yum, I’ve been looking for new salmon recipes!

Jac said...

Oooh this looks so tasty! I'm reallyimpressed that you are continuing to try those Donna Hay recipes, unlike the rest of us that just drool at the photos! Still this one looks lovely so I might have to try it!

Oh and you asked about the poppy on my last post... I'm not sure what kind it is, they just self seed year after year in my garden and while not coral, (they're more like a faded red colour) they're not as bright red as you would expect... Sorry I'm not much help lol!