Friday, May 7, 2010

Coconut pie

Last Friday I had dinner with the girls, a fabulous Indian banquet was feasted on, complete with bollywood films playing in the background. I offered to bring dessert and opted for Impossible coconut pie, in that it's impossible for anything to go wrong. I was looking for something that would complement the meal and not be too heavy. Had it been warmer I would have gone for sorbet, but this fit the bill.

Ingredients:
• 4 eggs • 1 cup caster sugar • 100g unsalted butter, softened • 100g almond meal • 1 cup desiccated coconut • grated lemon rind (from 2 lemons) and their juice ~1/2 cup • grated orange rind and it's juice ~ 1/2 cup • 1 cup coconut milk • 1/2 cup plain flour, sifted • Cream & passionfruit to serve.

Preheat oven to 180C
Mix everything in a food processor and pour into a greased 28cm pan. (The mixture is super runny)
Bake for an hour or until golden.

My pan wasn't quite 28cm so I got a couple of small ramekins and baked them too. Which was lucky, because the nine of us polished this off easily and there wouldn't have been anything to photograph!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Sounds like a great night. I love all things Bollywood too. My hubby took me to a restaurant and then a Bollywood show for birthday one year, it was so much fun. Thank you for the recipe I haven't tried it before, yours looks delicious.:)

Jac said...

Yum! I love coconut and this looks nice and easy as well as tasty - I'm off work this coming week so I may need to get in some supplies!